[R-sig-ME] glmmTMB: Get phi from dispersion model

John Maindonald john@m@|ndon@|d @end|ng |rom @nu@edu@@u
Wed Jan 13 09:53:27 CET 2021

If you specify  "dispformula=~1”, the output is the same as when a dispformula is not
specified.  Certainly, that is the case for models with a betabinomial error.  One can
extract phi as “phi=sigma(obj)

If you specify
a dispformula with >1 coefficients, then calculate either

  coef(HCbb.cll)[['disp’]]  ## Gives the coefficients
or
  coef(summary(HCbb.cll))[['disp’]]  ## Adds SE, etc, information

In both cases a logarithmic link function is used.

The following is a function that I have found useful:

getRho <-
function (obj)
{
    mm <- model.matrix(obj$modelInfo$allForm$dispformula, data = obj$frame)
    fixdisp <- fixef(obj)[["disp"]]
    1/(1 + exp(mm %*% fixdisp))
}

If you just want phi, rather than the intra-class correlation rho (which makes more
intuitive sense to me), just set “phi =  exp(mm %*% fixdisp)”.  I think this works
in just the same way with nbinom2 errors, but I have not checked the details.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald using anu.edu.au<mailto:john.maindonald using anu.edu.au>