[R-sig-ME] lme: count the number extra parameters estimated for variance or covariances

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Nov 1 17:14:34 CET 2020

Thank you Wolfang. That was exactly what I was looking for. If an lme()
model uses  `correlation = corAR1()`, then I'm assuming something new
will appear for the question mark in the following: `m2$modelStruct$???`,
right?

Wolfang, on the one the hand you mentioned: "you will also get the
coefficient (= 1) for the males. But that is not actually an estimated
parameter",

On the other hand you mentioned: "And these *are* parameters (besides the
fixed effects and the vars/covs of the random effects)."

Multiple software I used show that my model with `varIdent(form = ~1
|female)` estimates one additional parameter compared to a corresponding
model without `varIdent(form = ~1 |female)`.

Books (e.g., Mixed Effects Models and Extensions in Ecology with R by Zuur
et al, 2009; Pinheiro & Bates, 2000, p. 209) also clearly mention
`varIdent(form
= ~1 |female)` estimates one more parameter.

Would you please clarify?