[R-sig-ME] ICC from lmer with back transform

Pierre de Villemereuil p|erre@dev|||emereu|| @end|ng |rom ephe@p@|@eu
Fri Oct 30 12:14:06 CET 2020

Sorry, I was a bit confused during my previous response. Thinking now more clearly about this.

- If you are using a log-transform in the formula as per your first email, then Eq. 35 is actually much simpler and does not depend on Eq. 36, it becomes:
ICC = (exp(var_effect) - 1) / (exp(var_tot) -1)
where var_effect is the variance of the effect you want to measure the ICC of and var_tot is the sum of the random variance components. Note that this ICC will measure how much of the variance you can predict knowing the effect, but it does not work as a "variance decomposition" framework, because the ICCs from all variance components (including "residual") will not sum up to 1 as they do for a classical LMM.

- Using a log-link as I suggested actually makes everything more complicated and I am still unsure what would the impact of Jensen's equality be. I'll need to think more about this in terms of the impact on these back-transformations... unless someone already has a clue on this mailing list?

Cheers,
Pierre.