[R-sig-ME] more on nbinom1 vs 2

Fri Oct 23 03:49:37 CEST 2020

   Very short answer: all your insights here look correct, and well
expressed.

   I think the problem with your earlier aggregation question (I vaguely
remember it ) is a fairly common one with well-posed but moderately
interesting/difficult questions: questions that take more than a few
minutes to come up with an adequate answer/understanding, and that don't
happen to be in someone's wheelhouse -- so that they've either thought
about it before and have an answer ready, *or* it's worth it to them to
take some time to work on it -- often get neglected and gradually sink
into the pile.

  This is one of the advantages of forums like StackOverflow or
CrossValidated that (1) are much easier to search for old questions; (2)
allow people to offer 'brownie points' for solutions to interesting
questions.  (I think a sufficient interval has gone by that it would be
reasonable to cross-post it to CrossValidated ...)