[R-sig-ME] Dropping correlations bet. random-effects in lme4 syntax

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Oct 3 06:35:56 CEST 2020

Hello all,

I know to drop all correlations among all level-1 predictors in the random
part of an lmer() call, I can use `||`. But I was wondering how to drop
correlations (a) "individually" or (b) "in pairs"?

Example of (a) is how to drop the correlation of B with others (A & C)?
Example of (b) is how to drop the correlation between B and C?

lmer(y ~ A * B * C + (A * B * C  || group), data = data)

Thanks,
Simon