[R-sig-ME] Calculating effect sizes of fixed effects in lmer

FAIRS Amie @m|e@FAIRS @end|ng |rom un|v-@mu@|r
Thu Sep 24 10:48:59 CEST 2020

Dear list,

I’m hoping someone know the current practice or wisdom regarding calculating (standardised) effect sizes of fixed effects in a mixed model (I fit all mine with lmer). By effect size I mean something akin to a cohen’s d type value. I’ve followed this list for the past few years and my understanding is that there is no easy way to do this, because of working out the degrees of freedom of the random structure (I hope I’ve understood that correctly).

However, in searching the list archives for the past two years I have seen some discussion about it, in October 2019, and I have also seen that the emmeans package has a function called eff_size (though calculating the required values for the parameters seems like it could be prone to error for myself), so I thought I would ask: is there a current standard practice for calculating effect sizes of fixed effects?

I’m not doing this in response to reviewer comments, but I anticipate I will get a comment like this for something I want to submit soon 😊

Best,

Amie

Dr. Amie Fairs
Post-doctorant
Aix-Marseille Université
Laboratoire Parole et Langage (LPL) | CNRS UMR 7309 | 5 Avenue Pasteur | 13100 Aix-en-Provence
Email : amie.fairs using univ-amu.fr<mailto:amie.fairs using univ-amu.fr>

While I may send this email outside of typical working hours, I have no expectation to receive an email outside of your typical hours.