[R-sig-ME] Standard Error of a coef. in a 2-level model vs. 2 OLS models

Harold Doran h@ro|d@dor@n @end|ng |rom c@mb|um@@@e@@ment@com
Wed Sep 16 23:45:27 CEST 2020

This is not how standard errors are computed for linear or mixed linear models. I'm not sure what you're goal is, but the SEs are the square roots of the diagonal elements of the variance/covariance matrix of the fixed effects.

See ?vcov on how to extract that matrix.

-----Original Message-----
From: R-sig-mixed-models <r-sig-mixed-models-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Simon Harmel
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2020 7:51 PM
To: r-sig-mixed-models <r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] Standard Error of a coef. in a 2-level model vs. 2 OLS models

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

Just a clarification.

For `ols1` model, I can approximate its SE of the sector coefficient by using the within and between variance components from the HLM model:
sqrt(( 6.68  + 39.15  )/45)/(160*.25))

BUT  For `ols2` model, how can I approximate its SE of the sector coefficient by using the within and between variance components from the HLM model?