[R-sig-ME] var(ranef(Random Effect)) not the same as the variance component

Harold Doran h@ro|d@dor@n @end|ng |rom c@mb|um@@@e@@ment@com
Wed Sep 9 22:45:21 CEST 2020

Simon

Your original question was, “A very basic question. Generally, `var(ranef(Random Effect))` may not necessarily be the same as the variance component reported for that Random Effect in the model output, correct?”

First, let me define terms since there are a lot of variances in this model. There is the “marginal variance” which is the variance of the random effects reported by lmer. Then there is the “conditional variance of the random effects”, which is the variance of each individual BLUP, then you can take the “observed variance” over all BLUPs.

Now, take the simple model used in my example,

fm1 <- lmer(Reaction ~ 1 + (1|Subject), sleepstudy)

So, this term, var(ranef(fm1)$Subject), is the observed variance of the BLUPs.

The marginal variance of the random effects in this model reported by lmer is 35.75^2 and as Dimitris pointed out, you would not expect the observed variance of the conditional means (i.e., the BLUPs) to be equal to the marginal variance of the random effects.

The random effects are conditional means, E(Y|X) and they have a conditional variance.  So:

E(var(Y|X)) = mean(sapply(attr(ranef(fm1)$Subject, "postVar"),function(x) x))

var(E(Y|X) = observed variance of the BLUPs

Combined, their sum is the marginal variance of the random effects. So, concretely, we observe that

> sqrt(var(ranef(fm1)$Subject) + mean(sapply(attr(ranef(fm1, condVar=TRUE)[[1]], "postVar"),function(x) x)))
            (Intercept)
(Intercept)    35.75385

Which is the same as the marginal SD of the random effects from lmer.

Hope this helps.

BTW, note to Ben Bolker (if he even read this far 😊 ), I was originally the one who suggested to Doug that there be an extractor called “postVar”. He regretted that term and expressed that to me many times (now I understand why). But, I had to remember how to get the conditional variances of the random effects and the code above is what I came up with since they are an attribute of the ranef extractor. That code is a bit “ugly”, so either I’m doing it wrong (big possibility) or might I suggest a new extractor function can be written that is easier to get those?