[R-sig-ME] Statistical significance of random-effects (lme4 or others)

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Mon Sep 7 15:27:33 CEST 2020

Yes, you're spot on -- I oversimplified a bit. :) The deeper issue is
indeed the edge of the parameter space. And the p/2 trick also breaks
down for non trivial cases. As do many other asymptotic results in mixed
models -- the big one is the denominator degrees of freedom. There is a
big question not just in defining what the DoF are, but also whether
it's reasonable to use the F distribution based on asymptotics.

Phillip