[R-sig-ME] nlme:lme pseudo-replicate degrees of freedom

Tue Jul 21 01:35:48 CEST 2020

    Can you point to a reference that explains the issue (e.g. mailing
list thread or ... something on the R bug tracker or ... ?)  I do know
that there's an issue with df of random-slopes models which is
illustrated under "Df alternatives" at
https://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#why-doesnt-lme4-display-denominator-degrees-of-freedomp-values-what-other-options-do-i-have

  I wrote some code (linked from the above discussion, available from
https://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/R/calcDenDF.R ) ; it uses the
same kind of "semantic"/containment method, nothing with a quantitative
basis like Satterthwaite/etc., but it does do a somewhat better job on
random-slopes models. (I'm sure it could be improved.)