[R-sig-ME] spaMM::fitme() - a glmm for longitudinal data that accounts for spatial autocorrelation

Sarah Chisholm @ch|@023 @end|ng |rom uott@w@@c@
Mon Jul 13 22:42:53 CEST 2020

Thank you both for your reply.

Thierry, the inlabru package sounds interesting. However, I should have
mentioned that I'm not very familiar with Bayesian statistics and would
prefer to use other methods if possible.

Francois, I apologize for not contacting you directly first. To clarify my
question, when using the nlme::gls() function with longitudinal data, it is
necessary to group the data first. I'm *pretty sure* this is to avoid
having distances of zero in the corSpatial object, although I'm not
entirely sure of the details of fitting this model.

What I'm wondering is, will the fitme() function recognize that there are
repeated measurements through time on the same sites (and thus, duplicates
of the sites' coordinate points in the data set) to avoid calculating
distances of zero between the same site from different years. If I were to
use lme4::lmer (for a normally distributed response variable) without a
spatial random effect, the model would look like this:

M1 <- lmer(y ~ year + class + (1| biome ) + (1| continent ) + (1|ID) , data
= df, family = "gaussian" , REML = TRUE)

Thanks so much,

Sarah