[R-sig-ME] Fwd: lme4

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Wed Jun 24 17:00:04 CEST 2020

This is generally not advisable because the sampling distribution of the
variances is highly skewed. This means that the standard error isn't a
particularly informative statistic.

This has been discussed in various amounts of detail in various places,
but a good starting point (with examples and links) is this question on
CrossValidated: https://stats.stackexchange.com/q/161225/26743

For a concrete recommendation, I would use either profile or bootstrap
confidence intervals instead of standard errors. You can compute these
with confint(model, method="profile") or confint(model, method="boot").
For more information, see:
http://search.r-project.org/R/library/lme4/html/confint.merMod.html

Best,

Phillip