[R-sig-ME] Course: Introduction to Linear Mixed Effects Models and GLMM with R-INLA

Mollie Brooks mo|||eebrook@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jun 11 15:58:17 CEST 2020

The flyer says "Nested data means multiple observations from the same animal, site, area, nest, patient, hospital, vessel, lake, hive, transect, etc.", but this doesn’t agree with my understanding (https://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#nested-or-crossed <https://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#nested-or-crossed>). What if animals move from one site to another, or patients visit multiple hospitals. I encounter a lot of scientists who have a misconception of the meaning of nested data, so it would be good to be careful when teaching the terminology. Does R-INLA require random effects to be nested?

Kind regards,
Mollie