[R-sig-ME] correlation of fixed effects coefficients all close to +/-1

Mon May 25 18:33:51 CEST 2020

     In this case it seems to make sense to drop the singleton value.
You're not going to get very much information out of it anyway.  Other
things you could try:

   * make sure the singleton category is not the first level of your
factor. (Since effects of levels are by default quantified with respect
to the first level, having a wonky first level will make your results
look worse/crazier overall.)

   * compare the results with/without the extra observation; if you get
substantively similar results both ways, you can pick one to present as
primary and mention that the results are similar with the other choice.
(But be careful about cherry-picking.)