[R-sig-ME] same model runs in nlme but not lme4

Sat May 23 01:35:39 CEST 2020

    They're pretty separate things.  The  likelihood profile is
completely conditional on the model.  I suppose if the data are
completely insane then the profile will probably be weird too. The
profile has to do with the shape of the likelihood surface rather than
the distribution of the variation around the model.