[R-sig-ME] Fixing residual variance in lme4

Sijia Huang hu@ng@jcc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 12 00:40:15 CEST 2020

Hi everyone,

I am trying to fit a crossed random effect model with lme4. I want the
residual variance fixed to be 1. Below is the code I use. I am wondering
why the sigma=1 argument does not work as it does in the nlme package. Or
if there is another to fix the residual variance. Thanks so much!

> example<- lmer(formula = g ~ 0 + (1|Study) + (1|Subscale),
+                data = meta, weights=Precision,
+                control=lmerControl(optimizer="bobyqa",sigma=1))

Error in lmerControl(optimizer = "bobyqa", sigma = 1) :
  unused argument (sigma = 1)

Best,
Sijia