[R-sig-ME] spatial auto-correlation or more complicated pseudo-replication?

Thomas Merkling thom@@merk||ng00 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 22 18:19:09 CEST 2020

Dear Thierry,

Thanks for your answer.
Below is the piece of code I ran:
mod <- lmer(Laydate ~ Treatment + Year + (1|PairID), REML= FALSE, data =
CRlF)
CRlF$resmod <- residuals(mod, type = "pearson")
plot(gstat::variogram(resmod ~ 1, loc = x+y, data = CRlF))

It seems like the variance is quite stable for distances up to 25 and
then drops a bit. I did the same analysis with another response variable
(egg weight) and got a similar pattern. (links to plot for laydate
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T2n41DeSh0BlkZVX5t-E1IKdMuudujBy> and
for eggweight
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=10_ou4yQQkF-kVVnf7zbgHyMmUEABvnPU>)
So does it mean that there is no spatial auto-correlation then?

This would match the fact that our results don't change much if we add
the Matern correlation random effects or not.
A reviewer suggested that spatial-autocorrelation isn't sufficient to
account for the pseudo-replication in our data, and that we still have
an issue of inflation of the degrees of freedom and suggested
permutation tests to account for that, but is that really necessary?

Kind regards,
Thomas