[R-sig-ME] Modifying the subject in replies

Dan McCloy d@n @end|ng |rom mcc|oy@|n|o
Thu Mar 26 18:44:03 CET 2020

While I agree that breaking message threading is annoying and users should not wilfully change subject lines, I would like to note that what you are asking is analogous to asking people to turn off their virus scanning software. My email client does not add [FORGED] to subject lines, but it does give me a big red warning at the top of your message, Doug, saying "This email has failed its domain's authentication requirements. It may be spoofed or improperly forwarded!" It is likely that the [FORGED] message is meant to convey the same warning to users of other mail systems / clients. This may or may not be under user control. In sum: this problem may ultimately be the fault of the list's mailserver doing something non-standard, and may not be within the power of the individual subscribers to alter.

-- dan
Daniel McCloy
https://dan.mccloy.info
Research Scientist
Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences
University of Washington