[R-sig-ME] REML=TRUE with non-Gaussian responses

Wed Mar 25 02:02:44 CET 2020

This is a good question, but we (I) need to know a little bit more about
the level of explanation you're looking for.

In a book chapter of mine (Chapter 13 in Fox et al., Ecological
statistics: contemporary theory and application) I wrote

A broader way of thinking about REML is that it  describes any
statistical method where we integrate over the fixed effects when
estimating the variances.

  That's clear, but very short.

  Or you might prefer:

Bellio and Brazzale Stat Comput (2011) 21: 173–183DOI
10.1007/s11222-009-9157-4

The restricted likelihood function was originally defined as  the
marginal  likelihood  of  a  set  of  residual  contrasts (Patterson
and  Thompson1971).  Alternatively, it may  be computed as an integrated
likelihood following a Bayesian argument (Stiratelli et al.1984), or as
a modified profile likelihood function (Severini2000, Chap. 9).

Millar's book says (in section 9.3):

For normal linear models (including mixed-effects models), parameters ψ
(the variance parameters) and λ ≡ β (the regression coefficients) are
orthogonal, and the Laplace approximation in (9.18) is exact since the
log-likelihood is quadratic in λ. It follows that REML is equivalent to
integrated likelihood in these models. This equivalence was first
reported by Harville (1974) ...

Harville, D. A. (1974) Bayesian inference for variance components using
only error contrasts, Biometrika 61: 383–385.

  So; can you say a little more about what you mean by "I would like to
understand what this exactly does"?