[R-sig-ME] [FORGED] Re: Error from glmmTMB() --- no joy.

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Fri Mar 20 01:17:11 CET 2020

On 19/03/20 3:52 pm, Ben Bolker wrote:

<SNIP>

> I made a small change that appears to allow the
> original model to run correctly.  If you want to try it out, and have
> development tools (compilers etc.) and the remotes package installed,
>
> remotes::install_github("glmmTMB/glmmTMB/glmmTMB using cloglog_fix")
>
>    should install the patched version (I think).
>
> This will presumably be merged with the master branch sometime soon but
> I want to add some tests etc.

I've finally got around to trying out your patch.  No problems with the
install_github() process, but after doing the install I executed:

> library(glmmTMB)
> fmla <- cbind(Dead, Alive) ~ (Trt + 0)/Dose + (Dose | Rep)
> X    <- dget("X.txt")
> fit  <- glmmTMB(fmla, data = X, family = betabinomial(link = "cloglog"),
>                dispformula = ~1
and got:

> Error in (function (start, objective, gradient = NULL, hessian = NULL,  :
>   NA/NaN gradient evaluation
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: In (function (start, objective, gradient = NULL, hessian = NULL,  :
>   NA/NaN function evaluation
> 2: In (function (start, objective, gradient = NULL, hessian = NULL,  :
>   NA/NaN function evaluation
> 3: In (function (start, objective, gradient = NULL, hessian = NULL,  :
>   NA/NaN function evaluation
> 4: In (function (start, objective, gradient = NULL, hessian = NULL,  :
>   NA/NaN function evaluation
> 5: In (function (start, objective, gradient = NULL, hessian = NULL,  :
>   NA/NaN function evaluation
> Timing stopped at: 0.572 0 0.572

So my Sadim touch persists in its effect.

cheers,

Rolf

P. S. With the logit link I got warnings

> 1: In (function (start, objective, gradient = NULL, hessian = NULL,  :
>   NA/NaN function evaluation
> 2: In fitTMB(TMBStruc) :
>   Model convergence problem; non-positive-definite Hessian matrix. See vignette('troubleshooting')

but no errors as such.

R.

--
Honorary Research Fellow