[R-sig-ME] AIC Comparison for MLM with Different Distributions

Kate R kr@g|tcode @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 4 17:38:59 CET 2020

Hi Thierry,

Thank you for your response!

We are running different models - some have ordered factors as the response
variable and others have continuous or count data as the response variable, and
so I would still be curious to learn how to compare the AIC for models 1-4.

One post suggested that in order to compare normal with log-normal, you
would transform the AIC for the log-normal model with the following code: AIC
+ 2*sum(log(anxious)). I am still unsure how to compare the lmer/normal
models with the glmer/gamma models, as well as between glmer/gamma models
with different link functions.

For the ordered factor, I'd prefer to use the clmm for this, but it's
unfortunately common practice in the journals we publish in to use
continuous models (for ease of interpretation and convention), and so I'd
like to be able to show that the model fit is best with the clmm. In Burnham
& Anderson's book, they compare continuous models with count models, so I
hope it's possible to compare continuous with ordinal?

For the models with count data (frequency of use) as the response variable,
I suppose that we might also want to be able to compare poisson and
negative binomial distributions...

Overall, I'd like to learn how to compare models with different
distributions and/or links for my general knowledge and future use with
different research questions.

Many thanks again for your help!
Katie