[R-sig-ME] incorporating effort as an effect in binomial GLMM

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Fri Jan 17 22:41:33 CET 2020

Dear Anonymous,

Here a few ideas

How did you check for zero-inflation? A lot of zero's does not imply
zero-inflation. E.g. table(rpois(1e6, lambda = 0.01)) has lots of zero's
but no zero-inflation. I'd recommend using a Poisson distribution. Then
check for zero-inflation by comparing the distribution of the number of
zero's from several datasets simulated based on the model with the observed
number of zero's.

The logit-link complicates the interpretation of the fishing effort in the
binomial model. I suggest using a Poisson model with log(length) of the
nets as a fixed effect to the model to correct from fishing effort. Then
you can get predictions in terms of number per unit length the net.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey