[R-sig-ME] singular fit

Jill Brouwer j||bo97 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jan 2 10:09:10 CET 2020

Sorry here is some more information:

My research is looking at whether ocean acidification affects patterns of
gamete compatibility between individual male/female mussels.
Here I am looking at whether the ph of the fertilisation assays also
influences male by female interactions.

The design consists of two males and two females, crossed in every
combination (so a total of four combinations) per block, with two
replicates in each.
There is a fixed effect of Fertilisation pH (just called Fertilisation
below)
Random effects are individual males and females (each assigned a unique
number, but specified as a factor for the model), and block.

the full model formula is this (which doesn't give the singular fit error):
fertphmodel <- glmer(cbind(Success,Failure) ~ Fertilisation + (1|Block) +
(1|Male) + (1|Female) + (1|Male:Female) +
                      (1|Male:Fertilisation) + (1|Female:Fertilisation) +
(1|Male:Female:Fertilisation),
                    family = "binomial", data = fertph)

I am using likelihood ratio testing to determine significance of the random
effects, however when I create the reduced model with (1|Male) removed, and
also the one for (1|Male:Female) removed, it spits out the singular fit
error. (Formulas below). I was also reading about boundary effect problems
with likelihood ratio testing, and am unsure how to account for this?

fertphmodel1 <- glmer(cbind(Success,Failure) ~ Fertilisation + (1|Block) +
(1|Female) + (1|Male:Female) +
                        (1|Male:Fertilisation) + (1|Female:Fertilisation) +
(1|Male:Female:Fertilisation),
                      family = "binomial", data = fertph)

fertphmodel3 <- glmer(cbind(Success,Failure) ~ Fertilisation + (1|Block) +
(1|Male) + (1|Female) +
                       (1|Male:Fertilisation) + (1|Female:Fertilisation) +
(1|Male:Female:Fertilisation),
                     family = "binomial", data = fertph)

For fertphmodel1, the summary output says that the female random effect has
an extremely low variance  (possibly a reason for singular fit?)
var: 7.070e-10 sd: 2.659e-05

And for fertphmodel3, the summary output says the Female:Fertilisation has
a very low variance
var 3.325e-10 sd 1.823e-05

However, in the full model the all of the variances of the random effects
are between 0.03 and 0.6.

Hopefully this helps a bit !

Thankyou,
Jill