[R-sig-ME] singular fit

Jill Brouwer j||bo97 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jan 2 06:46:33 CET 2020

Hi all,

I have fitted a GLMM using glmer in lme4, and when I run the model it comes
out with a singular fit warning.

However when I ran the isSingular command on it and changed the tolerance
to 1e-05 instead of the default 1e-04 that caused the original warning, it
comes out as false - no singular fit warning!

Does this mean that the first warning is a false positive?
I can't find anything that suggests what the tolerance ratio should be but
in the GLMM FAQ on github, the troubleshooting example uses 1e-05.

Is it fine to stay with this model - I would prefer it to include all the
random effects as they are all of interest to me, and the model itself is
structured based on how I ran my experiment.

Sorry if this is a basic question, I am still learning!

Kind regards,
Jill