[R-sig-ME] a question about partitioning effects

John Haman m@|| @end|ng |rom johnh@m@n@org
Mon Nov 11 00:00:59 CET 2019

I'm curious about the basis for the logistic regression model here. A
correct response seems to imply that there is a true categorization (or
coarsening) of sounds on the gradient from [s] to [sh]. Is there? Or is
the correct classification in the eye of the researcher?

To try to answer your actual question, have you thought about modeling
the data as

glmer(category ~ AQ*gender*stimulus_char + (1 | listener))

or some variation thereof? This would treat AQ, gender, and stimulus as
fixed effects and supply a random intercept for each listener.

-John