[R-sig-ME] mixed models with very few measurements by subject

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Sat Nov 9 13:23:05 CET 2019

Dear Tim,

Abundance is probably a count variable. If so, consider using a
distribution that handles count variables (e.g. Poisson, negative binomial,
...).

I'll use lme4 notation.

1 . You can either use landscape + (1|sample_location) or
just (1|sample_location). The main difference is the first model fit the
common landscape effect via the landscape variable whereas those effects
are handled by (1|sample_location) in the second model (given
sample_location is nested in landscape).
2. Since you have only three landscape classes, I recommend to keep the
landscape as a fixed effect
3. You could fit a variogram on the BLUP of the sample_location to see if
there is spatial autocorrelation. The value of take spatial autocorrelation
into account will depend on the strength of the spatial autocorrelation.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey