[R-sig-ME] most conservative df for mixed effects anova

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Wed Oct 16 09:31:14 CEST 2019

Dear Carrie,

The most conservative number IMHO is the sum of the number fixed effects
parameters and the number of random effects parameters (in case of a random
intercept: 1 level = 1 parameter). Het most liberate number would replace
the number random effects parameters with the number of random effect
hyperparameters (a random intercept = 1 variance = 1 hyperparameter).

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey