[R-sig-ME] Using anova vs. Anova for linear mixed model

Kevin Chu kev|n@m@chu @end|ng |rom duke@edu
Fri Sep 13 17:53:32 CEST 2019

Hello Dr. Alday and Dr. Fox,

Thank you for your replies. I am indeed using the anova method from lmerTest with the default Satterthwaite method for estimating ddf.

I am not a statistics expert (I am a graduate student in electrical and computer engineering), so I do not entirely understand the differences between ANOVA types. I ran the anova method using the three ANOVA types, but I obtained very similar p-values. The part I am suspicious about is that the sum of squares for the STRATEGY factor is exactly equal to 0, which I suspect may be due to the missing cells.

My question: Do I need to specify any arguments in the anova method so that it can handle missing cells?

Thank you,
Kevin