[R-sig-ME] Measurement error for mixed models

Wed Sep 11 19:12:16 CEST 2019

Hi Krzysztof,

This can be done with lme(). Let si2 denote the known variance of observation i. With varFixed(), you can specify that the error variances are known up to a proportionality constant, sigma^2. With lmeControl(sigma=1), you can fix that proportionality constant to 1, so the error variances are equal to s2i. Then add random effects for each row of the dataset. That will be your s^2. So, putting this all together:

dat$id <- 1:nrow(dat)
lme(yi ~ x1 + ..., random = ~ 1 | id,
    weights = varFixed(~ si2),
    control = lmeControl(sigma = 1),
    data = dat)

Interestingly, this is identical to what is done in meta-analysis in the 'random-effects model', where we have known sampling variances for the outcomes and we add a random effect for each row (i.e., study) to the model. You might find this of interest:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:rma_vs_lm_lme_lmer

But also read the note at the end -- there is (was?) some issue with lme() when fixing sigma to a constant. Not sure if this has been fixed in the meantime.

Best,
Wolfgang