[R-sig-ME] Some very basic questions about modelling heteroscedasticity of within subjects variance in repeated measures obserational studies

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Mon Sep 9 21:25:04 CEST 2019

Dear Chris,

I think you want each individual to have a different residual variance. You
can do this with lme() using weight = varIdent(~1|individual). Note that
you'll need a lot data for each individual to get sensible results.

There is a chapter on this in Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects
Models in S and S-PLUS and probably also in Zuur et al (2009) Mixed Effects
Models and Extensions in Ecology with RMixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey