[R-sig-ME] Results from vcov() in lme4.

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Mon Aug 12 11:50:33 CEST 2019

The MixedModels.jl documentation has the technical answer as to what's
going on:

> The distinction between the "fast" and "slow" algorithms in the MixedModels package (nAGQ=0 or nAGQ=1 in lme4) is whether the fixed-effects parameters, β, are optimized in PIRLS or in the nonlinear optimizer.

My suspicion is that not doing joint optimization (i.e. estimating FE
and RE separately as in nAGQ=0) leads to the parameter space not being
explored as efficiently so you still closer to the starting values.

For GLMM this matters because of the way the fixed effects are
conditional on the RE. This was discussed a bit on the list a while
back: GLMMadaptive, if I recall correctly, can produce both conditional
and marginal (population-level) effect estimates for binomial models.
For LMM, the conditional and marginal estimates work out to be the same
thing, so you can ignore / marginalize out the fixed effects before
using the non-linear optimizer to solve the RE.

My explanation is surely infelicitous in some way, so more knowledgeable
people please correct me!

Phillip