[R-sig-ME] MIxed Effects Logistic Regression error "rank deficient" #534

Canarte Gutierrez,Climaco D dc@n@rte @end|ng |rom u||@edu
Mon Jul 22 23:29:36 CEST 2019

Hello

I am running mixed effects logistic regression that is throwing the following error: "fixed-effect model matrix is rank deficient so dropping 1 column / coefficient"

This model is the full random-intercept model with all level-1 and level-2 predictors (20 IVs in total.. yeah is a big one) . I did not have this error when gradually adding level-1 and level-2 predictors.

After changing one categorically variable I recently created with its former version, the full-random intercept did not show the “rank error”, but the b estimates and p-values changed.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? Should I disregard the results of the model with the "rank deficient"  error "?

Thanks

David Cañarte
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Sociology
and Criminology
University of Florida
dcanarte using ufl.edu<mailto:dcanarte using ufl.edu>