[R-sig-ME] singularity - differences in model output

Alessandra Bielli b|e|||@@|e@@@ndr@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jun 12 19:16:39 CEST 2019

Hi everyone,

I recently re-ran a model that I wrote about 5 months ago.
The model is a GLMM of the type :

m1 <- glmer(response ~ fixed  + random effect, data = d, family =
"binomial")

At that time, everything ran smoothly, with no error/warning messages.

However I have just run it again and I get a message saying the model is
singular.

1) The first question is, why didn't it happen then? Is it simply because
the package was updated?
I am asking because I need to justify my changes with the reviewers of the
journal where I'd like to publish my study.

2) I used the function isSIngular() to check my model, using the default
tolerance value. How do I decide the tolerance for detecting singularity?

Thank you so much for your help

Alessandra