[R-sig-ME] denominator DOF in lme, inner-outer rule

Cristiano Alessandro cr|@@|e@@@ndro @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jun 5 16:19:17 CEST 2019

Dear all,

I have read in this
<https://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#why-doesnt-lme4-display-denominator-degrees-of-freedomp-values-what-other-options-do-i-have>
blog, that the function lme (in the nlme package) provides inaccurate
denominator dof for random slope models according to the definition given
by Pinheiro and Bates. Is this only a visualization issue, or such "wrong"
denDOFs are actually those used if I run an anova on the fitted model. In
the latter case, I guess the p-values and F-statistics provided by anova
for random slope models should not be trusted, correct?

I know that the estimation of the denominator DOF is a controversial topic.
When I say "wrong" denDF I only mean that they do not reflect the
estimation based on inner and outer rule defined by Pinheiro and Bates
(which is used for random intercept only models).

Thanks a lot
Cristiano