[R-sig-ME] Log likelihood of a glmer() binomial model .

Juho Kristian Ruohonen juho@kr|@t|@n@ruohonen @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Apr 21 18:27:29 CEST 2019

Rolf: I'm no Prof but a lowly grad student of an unrelated field, so take
all my input with a grain of salt.

As alluded to by Ben, predict() can certainly provide fitted probabilities
for the validation set with the random effects taken into account. This is
achieved by the re.form = NULL argument. However -- and I'll be happy to be
corrected on this -- the problem is that dbinom() will calculate a
(log)likelihood of the observed responses assuming a regular binomial PMF,
which does not apply in the case of a mixed-effects model. Thus the result
will not equal the loglikelihood that is maximized in the fitting process,
i.e. will not equal logLik(validationFit) unless it's a standard logistic
GLM.

Best,

su 21. huhtik. 2019 klo 2.03 Rolf Turner (r.turner using auckland.ac.nz)