[R-sig-ME] Log likelihood of a glmer() binomial model .

Sat Apr 20 02:44:06 CEST 2019

  This seems wrong.  The GLMM log-likelihood includes an integral over
the distribution of the random effects.  If you use `nAGQ=0` (which
skips the integral) you *might* get the same answer (I think there's
no additional additive constant to be included for a Bernoulli
response?  The likelihood of a bernoulli is p or 1-p, no normalizing
constants needed ...)  Otherwise I think you might have to hack
around.

 Here is an **inefficient** method for computing the likelihood

   coefs <- unlist(getME(fit,c("theta","beta"))
   newdev <- update(fit, data=VS, devFunOnly=TRUE)
   newdev(coefs)

This is slow because it has to reconstruct all of the random-effects
matrices, do permutations to reorder the relevant matrices to be as
sparse as possible, etc. etc.

  It would be nice if we had a more efficient form of update(), but in
this case I'm not even sure it's easy/ possible (since the structure
of the Z matrices could change a lot when we go from the training to
the test data).

refit() efficiently rebuilds a new deviance function that uses a new
response variable, but it relies on everything else in the model
staying the same (especially, structure of the  matrices).
Before I realized it wouldn't help, I made a quick lme4 branch that
adds a "devFunOnly" argument to the refit.merMod method:
https://github.com/lme4/lme4/tree/refit_dfonly

  If I get feedback that this would be useful for someone I may merge
it back to the master branch ...