[R-sig-ME] Anova()'s Wald chisquare test for predictors with df > 1 in a logistic GLMM

Fox, John j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Thu Apr 18 17:26:57 CEST 2019

Dear Juho,

For a "type-III" test, Anova() simply calculates the Wald statistic for the hypothesis that all population coefficients in a term, such as the coefficients of contrasts for a factor, are simultaneously 0, not individually 0 as you suggest below, which wouldn't account for the correlation of the coefficients. This test requires just the coefficient estimates and their covariance matrix but, unless you're careful, will test strange hypotheses.

"Type-II" Wald tests are more complicated (though they too are based only on the estimated coefficients and their covariance matrix), but a simple way to describe them is that they are computed to be maximally powerful while obeying the principle of marginality, so that, e.g., a test of a main effect marginal to an interaction ignores that interaction (i.e., assumes that it is 0). This is accomplished by a projection involving nested hypothesis matrices, and to see how it works, you can look at the code for the Anova() function in the sources of the car package.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Professor Emeritus