[R-sig-ME] random slopes in gamm4

Cesko Voeten c@c@voeten @end|ng |rom hum@|e|denun|v@n|
Sat Apr 6 10:37:59 CEST 2019

Dear John,

A random slope in gamm4 is the same as a random slope in lme4, i.e.
(X1|ID) gives you separate linear slopes for X1 by IDs. If X1 is
numeric, this should be exactly identical to mgcv's s(ID,X1,bs='re').

It sounds like what you really want is a random smooth, which in mgcv is
called a factor smooth: s(ID,X1,bs='fs',xt=list(k=4),m=1). If you want
the *smooth* to vary across IDs, this is appropriate. Pass 'm=1' to
penalize the smooth a little bit more -- this is common for random smooths.

You can read more about this on
http://www.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/~jvanrij/Tutorial/GAMM.html. If you use
a factor smooth, you do not need to add a separate random slope, btw.

Best,
Cesko