[R-sig-ME] Model Definition and Interpretation - Interactions, plus Singularity

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Thu Mar 7 16:56:41 CET 2019

Hello,

On 6/3/19 7:53 pm, Reinstein, Ilan wrote:
> Hi all, I hope all is well.

::snip::

> 1. glmer(correct ~ scale(Sequence) + (scale(Sequence) | ID:caseType), family = binomial)
>
> 2. glmer(correct ~ scale(Sequence):caseType + (scale(Sequence):caseType | ID), family = binomial)

This model is a little unusual -- it includes interactions without main
effects, which usually doesn't make sense.

I think you want:

glmer(correct ~ 1 + scale(Sequence)*caseType +
(1+scale(Sequence)*caseType | ID), family = binomial)

(Note: I always make my intercept term explicit, both to remind that
it's there, and because some of the other software I use doesn't add an
implicit intercept.)

I wouldn't worry about achieving balance via artificial mehtods -- lme4
doesn't require it and the lack of balance will primarily show itself as
a difference in the intercept term, which isn't a big deal, and to a
lesser extent a difference in the standard errors -- they may actually
be better because you have more data overall.

Finally, you have 15ish (or at least more than 10 based on your
description and a logical leap) items per category, so you have more
than enough items to also estimate item effects. If each item belongs
uniquely to a single caseType, then you can't estimate caseType by item
effects, but you could potentially estimate sequence effects:

glmer(correct ~ 1 + scale(Sequence)*caseType +
(1+scale(Sequence)*caseType | ID) + (1+scale(Sequence)|Item), family =
binomial)

and if that fails to converge, you can try a model which just allows for
just intercept-level variation by item:

glmer(correct ~ 1 + scale(Sequence)*caseType +
(1+scale(Sequence)*caseType | ID) + (1|Item), family = binomial)

This latter model would pick up e.g. whether a given item is more or
less likely to be corrected rated, beyond the effect of its overarching
caseType or sequence position. lme4 will pick up on the "between" design
aspects of the item component without you having to be more explicit.

About your convergence problems: assuming they still linger after adding
in the main effects, I would interpret them as there not being enough
data to estimate the by-subject and by-item differences in the sequence
effect, which isn't horrible nor particularly surprising for me: I
expect the overall effect of sequence and the general variation between
subjects and items (i.e. the corresponding random intercepts) to be much
larger than the variation between subjects and items in the sequence effect.

Best,
Phillip