[R-sig-ME] Is it ok to use lmer() for an ordered categorical (5 levels) response variable?

Doran, Harold HDor@n @end|ng |rom @|r@org
Wed Mar 6 16:11:58 CET 2019

@steven, no, this is not at all how survey researchers generate scaled scores. Scaled scores are MLEs of a likelihood function (or sometimes posterior mean/modes) constructed from the observed responses.

To the OP, using lmer for the ordered response model is not an appropriate modeling strategy at all. Take a look at your predicted values. Are they < 0 or > 5? What does that mean?

-----Original Message-----
From: R-sig-mixed-models <r-sig-mixed-models-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Pierce, Steven
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 9:38 AM
To: Nicolas Deguines <nicodeguines using gmail.com>
Cc: r-sig-mixed-models <r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] Is it ok to use lmer() for an ordered categorical (5 levels) response variable?

Nicolas,

So your score is constructed by summing 4 binary variables, each of which represents a feature of a natural environment. This is similar to how social science researchers use survey data with binary questions that get combined into scale scores. Such scale scores are usually intended to measure latent variables.

By taking a simple sum of the binary items as the scale score, you are making strong assumptions about each item being equally important to measuring the latent variable. That's a testable hypothesis. Consider doing a confirmatory factor analysis using the 4 items as indicators of a latent variable (naturalness) that is assumed to be continuous and normally distributed. The point of this is to get a decent measurement model for the latent variable.

Allow the factor loadings to vary across items (some may be more important to measuring the latent variable than others); also test for whether there are correlations between the item residuals that are not explained by being indicators of the latent variable. If you can achieve adequate CFA model fit and composite reliability for the latent variable (i.e., naturalness), then you have the ability to save out factor score estimates of the latent variable that should be continuous, normally distribute values.

Then you can either take those factor score estimates and plug them into your mixed model, or just expand from a confirmatory factor analysis model into a full structural equation model that includes all the elements of the desired mixed model, with the latent "naturalness" variable as the outcome. The latter approach is more theoretically desirable because it reduces bias due to measurement error.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Acting Director; Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT) Michigan State University