[R-sig-ME] Compound Symmetry Covariance structure

Yashree Mehta y@@hree19 @ending from gm@il@com
Sun Dec 9 21:37:15 CET 2018

Hi Ben, Joaquin and John,

First of all, thank you very much for your responses. They are all very
helpful.

Yes, I understand now that there is an induced compound -symmetry
covariance structure in random effects model in nlme as default. I was
wondering if now, if I explicitly initialize the correlation and impose
compound symmetry in the model code (learnt from the example in Pinheiro
and Bates):

First, I estimate the intra-class correlation coefficient and the value is
0.908. Then, I estimate the standard LME model,

model <- maize ~ "covariates" + random = ~ 1|HOUSEHOLD_ID, data=farm

Then, I impose compound symmetry explicitly:

dependency<-corCompSymm(value=0.908, form=~1|HOUSEHOLD_ID)
cs<-Initialize( dependency  , data=farm)
new_model<-update(model, correlation=cs)

Is this fundamentally correct or is it double accounting for compound
symmetry since there already is default in lme function?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Yashree