[R-sig-ME] Fitting GLMM to percent cover data with glmmTMB

Mollie Brooks mollieebrook@ @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Nov 30 12:21:04 CET 2018

Hi Vasco,

I mostly agree with what Scott Foster said over on R-sig-eco to your earlier question:

> I agree with Zoltan that bionimial is probably inappropriate, for the reasons he stated.
>
> I'm not sure that Tweedie is your solution though -- it is defined for non-negative real numbers.
>  Not just those between 0 and 100%.  Perhaps easiest to think of fish biomass caught in a net (can
> be zero, or more.
>
> Tweedie might work though, if your percentages are typically nowhere near the 100% boundary.  In
> this case, the upper end of the support is kind of immaterial...  You hope...
>
> Does glmmTMB supply a beta distribution?  Zero-inflated beta?  The quantile regression idea might be
> useful too, as Brian suggested, but I'm not sure about random effects in that case.  Beta regression
> will also have problems with exactly 0% (or 100%) observations.

I would convert percentages to the 0-1 scale and then try a zero-inflated beta distribution. The Tweedie makes more sense if your response variable is the sum of a bunch of positive values like body weights.

You can do a GLMM with a zero-inflated beta distribution in glmmTMB with something like

m1 <- glmmTMB(sp1 ~ Grazing + (1|Plot), zi=~1, data=cover, family=beta_family())
m2 <- glmmTMB(sp1 ~ Grazing + (1|Plot), zi=~ Grazing, data=cover, family=beta_family())

cheers,
Mollie