[R-sig-ME] LMM reduction following marginality taking out "item" before "subject:item" grouping factor

Jake Westfall j@ke@@@we@tf@ll @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Nov 28 19:24:30 CET 2018

Maarten,

I think it's fine. I can't think of any reason to respect a principle of
marginality for the random variance components. I agree with the feeling
that it's better to remove higher-order interactions before lower-order
interactions and so on, but that's just because of hierarchical ordering
(higher-order interactions tend to explain less variance than lower-order
interations), not because of any consideration of marginality. If in your
data you find that hierarchical ordering is not quite true and instead the
highest-order interaction is important while a lower-order one is not, then
it makes sense to me to let your model reflect that finding.

Jake