[R-sig-ME] Single DV with multiple measures for time-varying IV?

Pero, Ellen ellen@pero @ending from umconnect@umt@edu
Mon Nov 12 19:58:03 CET 2018

Hi all:

I have an analytical dilemma wherein I have a single DV with multiple categorical and continuous IVs (one of which is a continuous IV that has multiple measurements across time). I'm not sure the best way to model for this - though it's clearly a hierarchical situation so I thought this might be a good venue to pose the question.

Specifically, I have 60 pregnant elk from which I took monthly cortisol samples across gestation (some missing values, so 5-8 samples/female across gestation). I'm interested in how those stress measurements across gestation (along with a range of other IVs that don't vary with time, e.g., dam age, sire age, calf birthdate) influence the birth mass of each female's calf.

Any suggestions on analysis for situations where a single DV is predicted by longitudinal measures of time-varying IV (along with non-varying IVs)?

I'm new to this list and will spend some time familiarizing myself with it - but was eager to get my question out. Apologies if this isn't the right venue for my non-development related question. Please disregard if appropriate.

I appreciate any thoughts/advice/suggestions!
El

Ellen Pero
PhD Student
Wildlife Biology Program
W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation
University of Montana
32 Campus Drive, FOR 318
Missoula, MT 59812