[R-sig-ME] R Consortium call for funding

Phillip Alday phillip@@ld@y @ending from mpi@nl
Tue Oct 2 11:48:12 CEST 2018

I'm a bit late to the game on this one, but I would second the votes for
flexible covariance structures as in nlme. Perhaps this could be done by
investing funds into the flexlambda work?

Regarding two other suggestions:

1. Julia-like speed. There are bridges between Julia and R, but this
still doesn't help me once I have a fitted model in Julia and want the R
mixed-models ecosystem (effects, car::Anova(), lmerTest, etc.) to
examine the model. It should however be possible to construct a merMod
object from the fit in Julia. Tools for doing this would be quite nice.
(This also seems like relatively low-hanging fruit for a Google summer
of code type project.)

2. Better confidence intervals and predictions for non-linear links. I
think some parts of this are implemented in the effects and emmeans
packages. In addition to a more extensive/complete implementation, this
seems like something where additional documentation and worked examples
comparing conditional and marginalized coefficients would be useful,
potentially as part of the GLMM FAQ.

Best,
Phillip