[R-sig-ME] Removing random intercepts before random slopes

Jake Westfall j@ke@@@we@tf@ll @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Aug 29 15:34:15 CEST 2018

Maarten,

Regarding whether it makes conceptual sense to have a model with random
slopes but not random intercepts. I believe the context of this
recommendation is an experiment where the goal is to do a confirmatory test
of whether the associated fixed slope = 0. In that case, as long as the
experiment is fairly balanced, the random slope variance appears in (and
expands) the standard error for the fixed effect of interest, while the
random intercept variance has little or no effect on the standard error
(again, assuming the experiment is close to balanced). So we'd like to keep
the random slopes in the model if possible so that the type 1 error rate
won't exceed the nominal alpha level by too much. But keeping the random
intercepts in the model is less important because it should have little or
no impact on the type 1 error rate either way, albeit it would be
conceptually strange to have random slopes but not random intercepts. So,
anyway, that's the line of thinking as I understand it, and I don't think
it's crazy.

Jake