[R-sig-ME] Removing random intercepts before random slopes

Phillip Alday phillip@@ld@y @ending from mpi@nl
Wed Aug 29 12:41:10 CEST 2018

Focusing on just the last part of your question:

> And, is there any difference between LMMs with categorical and LMMs
> with continuous predictors regarding this?

Absolutely! Consider the trivial case of only one categorical predictor
with dummy coding and no continuous predictors in a fixed-effect model.

Then ~ 0 + cat.pred  and ~ 1 + cat.pred produce identical models in some
sense, but in the former each level of the predictor is estimated as an
"absolute" value, while in the latter, one predictor is coded as the
intercept and estimated as an "absolute" value, while the other levels
are coded as offsets from that value.

For a really interesting example, try this:

data(Oats,package="nlme")
summary(lm(yield ~ 1 + Variety,Oats))
summary(lm(yield ~ 0 + Variety,Oats))

Note that the residual error is identical, but all of the summary
statistics -- R2, F -- are different.

Best,
Phillip