[R-sig-ME] random intercept, random slope plus intercept, no random slope alone?

Phillip Alday phillip@@ld@y @ending from mpi@nl
Tue Aug 14 12:50:31 CEST 2018

Not directly answering your question, but I don't think your models m3
and m4 are what you want.

Each LizardID presumably only has one mum, so having a slope for mum
that's allowed to vary by ID doesn't make any sense.

Maybe you want the nested effect

random=~1|mum/LizardID

?

Which will give a by-mum intercept (offset) and a by-lizard intercept.

Best,
Phillip