[R-sig-ME] glmms:Checking out over_under_dispersion

John Maindonald john@m@indon@ld @ending from @nu@edu@@u
Fri Aug 10 05:59:40 CEST 2018

Note also the comments of McCullagh and Nelder (2edn, 1999, p.126),
speaking somewhat disparagingly about the use of beta-binomial
models as a way to model dispersion, as defined for glm():
“Though this is an attractive option  from a theoretical standpoint, in
practice it seems unwise to rely on a specific form of over-dispersion,
particularly where the assumed form has been chosen for mathematical
convenience rather than scientific plausibility.”
At least for data with which I have been working, I beg to disagree!

The great virtue of glmmTMB::glmmTMB() is that it allows modeling of
its version of the dispersion parameter (not dispersion as for glm()) as a
function of explanatory variables.  My experience of using glmmTMB()
with a several insect mortality datasets from a much larger collection
was that, consistently, the over-dispersion factor was large at midrange
mortalities, reducing to close to 1 (i.e., binomial-like) at high mortalities.
There are only 2 datasets that I have access to that I am currently free
to make public, unfortunately.

[I suspect that one should somehow be modeling the relevant parameter
as a function of estimated mortality rather than indirectly as a function
of explanatory variables.  I’ve wondered whether there is some different
way to handle the parameterization that would build this in.]

I’ve not tried modeling the GLM style over-dispersion as a function of
explanatory variables — there may be some of the software that is
about that allows this.  My guess is that, as reported in Morgan and
Ridout (2008) for very different data, the beta-binomial would be
favoured over a quasi-binomial, with a mixture of the two doing better still.
[A new mixture model for capture heterogeneity. Applied Statistics C.
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9876.2008.00620.x]

See https://maths-people.anu.edu.au/%7Ejohnm/r-book/4edn/ch7-BetaBinomial.pdf<https://maths-people.anu.edu.au/~johnm/r-book/4edn/ch7-BetaBinomial.pdf>
for details of what I have done with a dataset that I have permission to
expose to public view.

The beta-binomial implies that the variance can never be reduced below
a lower bound that depends on the dispersion parameter, which I find
convenient to take for this purpose as the intra-class correlation.  That is
a big difference, if one wants to use results for designing further trials,
from the story that comes from a quasi-binomial model. I think it more
likely that the benefits of increasing sample size attenuate as the sample
size increases, with no variance lower bound.  For the recent data on
which I had been working, the relevant glmmTMB abilities became
available too recently (~Jan, 2018) to be applied across all the datasets
to which I had access.  With what I believe I now know, I’d have had
the confidence to pursue the use of other packages that can be used,
with a bit more effort, to achieve a similar result.  Hindsight is a great
thing.

Were I in mid-career, I’d likely be pursuing these ideas with some vigour.
I’d be happy to co-operate with anyone who wants to take them further,
and might be able to negotiate access to a wider range of datasets than
I can currently expose to public view.  It surprises me that this seems an
area that has been very little explored, certainly as it relates to plant
quarantine research — what has been done to date, including work that
I did in the 1980s and 1990s, now strikes me as naive.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald using anu.edu.au<mailto:john.maindonald using anu.edu.au>