[R-sig-ME] seeking input lme4::glmer with a gamma family: link = log or identity?

Scott LaPoint @dl@point @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Jul 27 20:14:09 CEST 2018

Thank you again Thierry. I think I had explored different nAGQ values
previously, but not very systematically.

Following Thierry's idea and Professor Bolker's suggestion elsewhere (here:
http://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html) under "Trouble
shooting", I compared the LogLikelihood estimates for models run with
different model fitting options:

nAGQ = 0 ("optimizing the random effects and the fixed-effects coefficients
in the penalized iteratively reweighted least squares step")
nAGQ = 1 (Laplace)
nAGQ = 10 (>1 = Gauss-Hermite)

I run this model, with three variants of the nAGQ argument:
mDist <- glmer(distance ~ CSs.lat + CSdirect + CSstart + year + age*sex +
(1|id), data = birds, family = Gamma(link = log), nAGQ = ?, control =
glmerControl(optimizer = "bobyqa"))

I used Bolker's suggestion:
mods <- allFit(mDist)

I provide AIC values as well, just for reference.

With nAGQ = 0:
 AIC = 1887.4
 allFit() = 100% of the optimizers produce models that converge. The LogLik
values all match at -929.6804

With nAGQ = 1:
 AIC = 1843.5
 allFit() = 50% of the optimizers produce models that converge. The LogLik
values for each model are very similar (range = -908.2571 to -907.7478)

With nAGQ = 10:
 AIC = 31.8
 allFit() = 50% of the optimizers produce models that converge. The LogLik
values vary much more substantially (range = -10.481851 to -1.879633)

So, I'm puzzled why despite increasing the nAGQ argument, I seem to be
achieving less certainty...

Thanks to you all.

Scott LaPoint
Postdoctoral Researcher, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia
University
Associate Scientist, Max-Planck Institute for Ornithology
skype: scott_lapoint
twitter @sdlapoint
scottlapoint.weebly.com